Alien:
"Quit your job, Hollywood just called"

leading from

a) Call to Giger from Dan O'Bannon
Giger received a phonecall from Dan O'Bannon on behalf of Twentieth Century Fox in the middle of the night, it was one that he had almost given up believing in.  Dan was celebrating in Los Angeles and told Giger that Twentieth Century Fox had accepted the Alien film project . The studios were putting seven million dollars into it and would be engaging Giger for designs.

He mentioned how the Necronomicon book had completely convinced the production company and the director, Ridley Scott, which meant that indeed Giger would expect a visit from them soon

b) "Quit your job, Hollywood just called" 
It was on Monday 6th February 1978, that Giger then called Mia Bonzanigo, for the last three weeks she had been working with a photographer. telling her "Quit your job. Hollywood just called" which she took as a joke, because in Switzerland, when someone tells somebody "Hollywood called" it was a joke, but he then told her "some people are coming around the day after tomorrow to talk about a film" and he really needed her to stop her work, he said that he needed her as a secretary. Confused , she asked "What... is that the truth? Let's talk about it tonight"

Mia Bonzanigo

b) Later that night
She met with him later that night and Giger told her "yes, I need somebody who takes care of my things because Hollywood called and they want to make a film and after tomorrow they will be here"

c) See: Ridley, Carroll And Giler visit Giger in Switzerland

Quote source
  1. HR Giger: At last in February 1978, in the middle of the night, i get a telephone call that I'd almost given up believing in. They seem to be celebrating in Los Angeles. O'Bannon tells me excitedly that Twentieth Century Fox have accepted the film project, they putting in seven million dollars and will be engaging me for designs. He says my book has completely convinced the production company and the director, Ridley Scott and I should expect a visit from them soon. (Giger's Alien, p12)
  2. Mia Bonzanigo: He rang me up and said "Quit your job. Hollywood just called". I thought it was a joke. But he said some people are coming around the day after tomorrow to talk about a film. He said he needed me. (Dark Star: H.R. Giger's World documentary)
  3. Mia Bonzanigo: I was working with a photographer and three weeks later Giger called me and told me that I should er, erm, stop my work with the photographer because he needs me, he needs a secretary, because Hollywood called. And in Switzerland, it's a joke. When somebody tells you Hollywood called, then it's just erm, yuh, a joke. And I said, what, is that the truth? or what a, let's talk about it tonight. I went to him and he said yes, I need somebody who is taking care of my things because Hollywood called and they want to make a film and after tomorrow they will be here. Ridley Scott, erm, Gordon Carroll and a lot of people. And er, so it started. Giger started to paint paintings already in Zurich. And then he had to go sometimes to London to show the paintings and then they found that we should come to England and then Giger had to paint in an apartment, in London near the Thames, and I remember that the name of the street was something with Rectory Chamber. And er so we had this apartment and Giger had to go there, go back to Zurich, come there, I'd go there. Giger needed somebody who stays close to him, it was troubleshooting, it was friend, it was lover. I worked at just everything. Cleaning woman, wash, I did with the washings, I did the cooking.  (Alien Makers VI documentary)

No comments:

Post a Comment