a) "The treasure room"
The ship is creaking. The garage of the ship is the treasure room. Because it's one of the equipment rooms, Ridley got fairly exotic looking digging equipment of the appropriate size, small bulldozers and small earth movers. He has them sprayed all gold and somehow it worked as very high tech pieces of equipment. A vehicle was a combination of pieces of equipment, such as tank tracks with some shell casings.
b) Harry's Closeup
Brett says "here kitty, here kitty kitty kitty...what's this kitty crap, ...Jones!"
Ridley did a closeup on Harry that he loved and would later say to Ridley at the premiere "Thanks for the close up"
In the background was a sound that was organic, a sort of a pulse which might be a very very pullback heartbeat.
c) Discarded Skin
Brett picks up the discarded skin, like something that a snake would discard. Now it was obvious that Brett was going to die
|Brett and the alien skin|
Ridley Scot decided to transform the landing leg room of the Nostromo into a temple environment
Roger Christian went out and bought two Canberra bombers and dismantled them. The jet engines became the columns of the room which gave it the feel of a temple. Inspired by the way the Apollo Lunar Lander was partly covered in gold foil, the walls of the room accompanying the vehicle; land crawlers, helicopters and other flying machines and equipment that the crew would use in their work on and around the refinery, and when they land on various planets. were covered in gold paint would become like "the Egyptian treasures". Tutenkhamun's treasures would still have been fresh on the minds of the public at the time
- Ridley Scott: We got hold of marvelous actual parts of actual huge jet engines and installed them, and they're like coppery metal with some steel. We used them as four main supports, like columns, and they give a lot of feeling of a temple. We played the same music we used in the derelict alien craft and we had two temples. The idol I wanted was through these massive gold doors which were as big as a wall, with a gap in them through which the claw can be seen, When the set was dressed, it looked like Aladdin's cave. (Fantastic Films, #12, p25-26)
- Ridley Scott: A lot of the stuff we used here, see that egg crating , that's all just standard, um, industrial pallets, we just created most of the sets out of the pallets, and the rest were tube and exotic looking pipe work and conduits from aircraft. In fact, at one stage, Roger Christian went off and bought two Canberra bombers and just (58:00) dismantled them. And of course on each bomber is millions of parts.(Alien director's commentry dvd)
- ("here kitty, here kitty kitty kitty...what's this kitty crap, ...Jones!")
Ridley Scott: I love this cue here, love this cue, Now you know Harry's going to die.
You can hear the ship creaking. There's the treasure room. Yuh, we actually, because this is one of the equipment rooms, l just got fairly exotic looking digging equipment of the appropriate size, small bulldozers and small earthmovers. l just sprayed them all gold, and er, somehow it works as very high-tech pieces of equipment.
(Close up of Harry)
Harry always loved that closeup, he thanked me, saw the premiere, and he came to me
and (1:02:00) said "Thanks for the closeup" ( laughing) And you hear the sound, yet that sound's organic again, now that sound, I think is a pulse. Now this is a combination of pieces of equipment of a...existing equipment tank tracks with some shell casings
(Harry picks up alien skin)
and there you have the pulse, which maybe very very pullback heartbeat and the skin, the
discarded skin like a snake would discard it's skin... of something. (Alien Legacy dvd commentary)
- Ridley Scott: Just the remains of a helicopter there sprayed gold, er, jet engines there sprayed turned on end and sprayed gold with gold foil on them just to make it more peculiarly , um, hi-tech. (Alien Quadrilogy and Blu-Ray commentary dvd)
- Ridley Scott: Just outside the claw room is a huge maintenance area, a garage, filled with the equipment that the crew would use in their work on and around the refinery, and when they land on the various planets - land crawlers, helicopterers, other flying machines. (Fantastic Films, #12, p25-26)
- Ridley Scott: As I was working with the art director I decided to make it feintly glittery, I wanted to have anodized gold everywhere. Not steel, gold. Did you know that space landing craft are covered with gold foil. Amazing! So I thought, Why make this out of steel? Let's make it all warm, oppressive, massive and gold. (Fantastic Films, #12, p25-26)
- Ridley Scott:Now we go into a room, there's a big argument about this room. They said "How would you have water dripping inside this room?", And my argument was "it's condensation from the air conditioning" (giggle) but this is a landing leg room where the floor would open and that leg would down and, you know, support the ship. (Alien Legacy dvd commentary)