Humanoids from the Deep:
Rob Bottin on the Alien chestburster ripoff scene in





a) A so called idea that that's never been done
After Alien had come out and had become a success, Roger Corman told Rob Bottin "I've got this great idea for this scene. It's never been done in a picture. We're going to have this baby actually come out of the woman's stomach"

Not believing that they were being serious since he automatically knew that the idea came from Alien, Rob responded "Right, new idea, Uh-huh"

He then told him,"I'm not going to do this shot unless you come to my house. Let's just do it in my garage and I'm not even going to leave the house. "

Roger said "sure."



b)  Setting the shot up
The next thing that Rob noticed was that they were setting the whole shot up, and while he was getting the whole thing and the girl ready, he found that they were dragging all his furniture out of his front room and shooting inserts on the front lawn with the furniture.



c) Final result
What he finished up with was something that reminded him of the Muppets meets Smucker's Jelly in a Pregnant Woman



Source Quotes
  1. Rob Bottin: When I was hired on the picture, Roger said "I've got this great idea for this scene". He said "It's never been done in a picture." This is one day after Alien had rescued Fox. He said "We're going to have this baby actually come out of the woman's stomach, " And I just kind of like said, "Right, new idea. Uh-huh" I thought they weren't serious, but we finally... that's why I ended up doing it in my garage at the last second. I thought they can't be serious, but we ended up doing it and actually it's kind of funny, it's like the Muppets meets Smucker's Jelly in a Pregnant Woman.
    Any way that was kind of fun but it's really silly. It's like put on a suit and go jump on a girl kind of thing. Everyone's done one of those I should think. (Samhain #25)
  2. SAMHAIN: Were you responsible for the Alien style baby shot at the end?

    Rob Bottin: Oh yeah, we did that... at that point I was so mad about the picture - well, not mad but they drove me crazy - that said I'm not going to do this shot unless you come to my house. Let's just do it in my garage and I'm not even going to leave my house . The producer said "well sure" so the next think I know is they're in there setting this whole thing up, and meanwhile I'm getting this whole thing ready and I'm getting this girl ready and all this kind of stuff, and I find that they've dragged all my furniture out of my front room and are shooting inserts out on my front lawn with the furniture. Then I realise why they had worked that way. (Samhain #25)

No comments:

Post a Comment